I have delayed writing this piece so that I could study reactive opinions and observations, particularly as it concerns the nascent developmental steps Mr Governor is taking. Yes, there’s something remarkable going on in Anambra recently, and ndi-Anambra and all its residents are currently applauding Governor Chukwuma Soludo’s wisdom, ensuring in distribution of road infrastructure projects evenly across the state.
From Amansea to Onitsha, to Awka capital territory to Nanka, from Ekwuluobia to Awa, to Nimo to Okpoko, and to others, the many road projects Governor Soludo have awarded has turned the state into a huge construction site. The era of cars breaking down and littering Anambra state roads, as well as broken roads is over. This is expected to make traveling within Anambra communities a pleasurable experience.
Yes! Governor Soludo is preparing Anambra for the future that everywhere you turn to in the state, you will find a contractor. For this reason, today, ndi-Anambra do wonder why God delayed making him Governor as early as 1999. Yet no one can question God who knows when and how best to use Soludo.
There are evidence that abound, and they have alot to do with his accomplishments at financial sector, that included a regime of consolidation of 89 banks to 25 with a stronger capital base. He also institutionalised Nigeria Security Printing and Minting Company Ltd PLC -MINT. In addition to the consolidation of the banks, he helped grow the external reserve from $10 billion to an all-time high of $62 billion and inflationary pressure was low, at a time single digit for 24 consecutive months. He was a key figure in the macro-economic high scores attained by the Obasanjo administration.
During the gubernatorial campaigns, Soludo acknowledged that all the major economic roads within the state has collpased and must be rehabilitated, whether abandoned or half-executed by his predecessors. He made them his administration’s priority. Accordingly, he is now bringing relief to communities and it’s already impacting positively on the residents.
Meanwhile, the following roads have been awarded by Governor Soludo for construction. They are:
1. Club (Abakaliki) Road (2.078km).
2. Regina Caeli to Y-Junction (1.173km).
3. Millenium Industry – INEC – Ekwueme Square (1.762km).
4. Unizik Temp Site – Okpuno – Isuaniocha Junction (6.847km).
5. Chukwudifu Street (0.297km).
6. PPSSC – NECO office Road (0.473km).
1. Obodoukwu road Obodo-Owerri Rd 5.77km.
2. Oguagu- Ik Onuorah-Anumudu-Mgbuka- Amazu-Owerri Rd -2.97km.
3.Edeh Road-School rd-Awalite – Ojoto-Owerri rd 1.48km.
4. School rd- umuobom Street-Ojoto Street Junction -0.58km.
5. Umuobom st (Ojoto st Junction-Adazi ani street- Owerri Rd- 0.77km.
6. Umenweke st (Obodoukwu Junction)-Umeojiakor st ( School Rd Junction)-0.58km.
7. Ojoto Junction-Anumudu (Mgbuka Amazu Junction)0.99km.
8. Uzii st- Mission st (Awaited Junction) 0.54km.
9. Anumudu street (Ik Onuorah Junction )- Gmi Rd- 0.38km.
EKWULOBIA AND ENVIRONS:
1. Flyover At Ekwulobia Roundabout.
2. Nanka –Ekwulobia – Aguata local government headquarters road (2.0km).
3. Ekwulobia – Oko road (0.825km).
4. Ekwulobia – Isuofia road (1.125km).
5. Isuofia to Nanka Road with spur to Nanka/Obi Adimorah Road (2.2km and 10.3m wide).
6. Isu-Igbo River that is Isuofia – Ekwulobia Section of Ekwulobia – Nnobi Road – 600m stretch including 1.2km drainage.
(Ancillary structures and facilities to be built around the Ekwulobia hub are, a bus terminal building, fuel station, security office building, fire station and other external works such as sewage treatment facilities, drainage, landscaping, etc).
1. Mmiata-Anam- Nzam Road (Second Phase) (with bridges, culverts, etc) – 11km.
2. Akpaka-Basilica Road, Onitsha – 7.79km.
3. Amansea-Ndukwuenu-Awa-Ufuma Road – 26. 4km.
4. Amansea-Awba-Ofemili – 26km.
5. Dredging of 500m of Mmili John River, culvert desilting and widening of water flow.
6. Flood Control Work at Ogbunike/Ogidi section of Enugu-Onitsha Old Road.
7. The construction of Oye Agu Abagana to Nimo Road with spur at Nimo road (5.12km and 10.3m wide).
REHABILITATION (ONGOING /COMPLETED):
1. Chisco Park Section of Onitsha – Enugu Federal Highway at Onitsha.
2. Major interventions on two sections of Amansea axis of the Enugu – Onitsha Old road.
3. Intervention on Inland Doors axis of Nkpor-Umuoji road.
By Izuchukwu Adichie