The Nigerian Communication Commission as part of its strategic vision plan 2021- 2025 captures the need to encourage the development of new technologies and local content through cutting edge research to stimulate sustainable economic growth and development in Nigeria.
Pursuant to the above, the Commission invites Tech Hubs, Innovation Driven Enterprises (IDE) in Nigeria to enter eligible start-ups and their solutions in the third edition of the NCC IoT Code camp and Hackathon with focus on two categories;
- Development of IoT (Internet of Things) solutions for kidnapping and banditry in Nigeria.
- Assistive robotics solutions for effective e-waste management.
The NCC IoT Code camp and Hackathon will promote tech-driven enterprises and the adoption of IoT based solutions by the translation of novel ideation to the actual development of hardware /software solutions as useable products as an outcome of the event.
An independent panel of judges will determine a First and Runner-up entry for each category and judges decisions are final.
The First and Runner-up adjudged for each category will receive cash prizes of ₦5million and ₦3million respectively.
The criteria for participation in the competition include the following:
- The Enterprise MUST provide certificate of registration with Corporate Affairs Commission
- The project should have clear relevance to one of the two categories above.
- Clear problem statement, proposed solution and roadmap to deployment.
- Proof of concept (which may also include technical feasibility of idea with diagram, algorithm, existing models or case studies, etc.).
- Novelty of solution (including a declarative statement on ownership of intellectual property)
- Solution including prototype development can be concluded within 3 months of receipt of the grant (including statement of application of funds).
All applications should be ONLINE.
There is no cost to enter the competition and full control and ownership of intellectual property of the entries remain with the participant.
All entries must be made by a Tech Hub /Innovation Driven Enterprise who will register and submit on behalf of the entry the following documentation:
- Evidence of relationship with the startup/solution being entered
- 4 page Executive Summary of the project concept
- Names, Age, contact details, passport photos and profile of all Team members.
- Website (if available)
- 5-7 minutes video of the pilot project
Interested and qualified enterprises should go to http://ncc.gov.ng/iothackathon2021 and submit the above documents per the instructions provided.
The Hackathon will open from 5th July to 26th July 2021 with other key dates as follows:
|05th Sep – 26th Sep||Applications open online|
|29th Sep – 06th Oct||Evaluation of applications|
|09th Oct – 10th Oct||Contact shortlisted Startups & Tech Hubs|
|16th Oct – 17th Oct||2 Day Idea Pitch Deck and grading of Competitors by the Judges|
|19th Oct||Award of prizes/Closing ceremony|
Applying to the Hackathon counts as a public disclosure of your idea and it is your responsibility to protect it adequately before making an application.
Before applying, please ensure you are satisfied with the level of protection for any idea or material included in the application, and seek your own legal advice if necessary.
Failure to do so may affect your ability to protect it in the future.
Applicants are not required to include more detail about their ideas than they feel comfortable with or than is indicated in the online application form. However, please be aware that providing insufficient detail may affect the ability of the judges to make a fair assessment of your application.